Struggles continue for men’s soccer

Sophomore Harrison Rieber netted two goals in Oswego State's first two games. He, along with the entire Lakers' offense, has gone dead silent since, not scoring a goal in the last three games (Emily Wright | The Oswegonian).
Sophomore Harrison Rieber netted two goals in Oswego State’s first two games. He, along with the entire Lakers’ offense, has gone dead silent since, not scoring a goal in the last three games (Emily Wright | The Oswegonian).

The Oswego State men’s soccer team dropped its fourth consecutive contest on Wednesday afternoon against Morrisville State College at Laker Soccer Field, 1-0.

The Lakers were looking to come back home and pick up a victory after a quick road trip, but they were unable to capitalize on a plethora of chances thus being held scoreless. It was an even game for the most part, except the first 15 minutes where the Lakers played as if they were uninspired.  Even though they regained form after going down by a goal, it was not enough.

The Lakers dominated the second half attempting six shots and keeping the ball consistently on the Mustang side of the field. They had some very good looks but could not find the equalizer they were so desperately looking for. Some great chances were available for players Jacob Lunduski, who made a great solo effort down the right side in the 53rd minute and Andrew Moorman who also had a one on one with the keeper about five minutes later, but neither could find the back of the net, as Mustang goalkeeper Eric Bergland held firm.

One of the reasons the Lakers had several chances was because Bergland made some mistakes that could have potentially led to a Laker goal. Bergland seemed eager to come off of his line. They were questionable decisions on his part, but the Lakers, in what was a running theme on the evening, could not capitalize. The Mustang defense would not let anything through, and if they did, they did not make it easy for their opponents.

The Mustangs did not possess the ball as much as the Lakers in the second half, but they did have their fair share of chances. Although goalkeeper Jon Runge did not have to make a save, the Lakers definitely felt some pressure from the Mustangs.

In the first half, the Lakers came out very lackadaisical and their play showed as such, as they could not get anything going for the first 20 minutes. They conceded in the 19th minute to Joe Sheehan, who took five shots in total on the game, on a throughball from Gilroy Alvarez.

After conceding the goal, the Lakers seemed to pick up the pace and play with more motivation. The game became much more open and both teams attempted to attack more. With attacks coming up on both flanks, every cross was potentially dangerous, every shot was watched closely.

But both defenses held firm, not conceding again. The Lakers had their best chance of the day when substitute Rob Dezendorf, fired a shot from the outside. Bergund made a diving stop to keep the Lakers off the scoreboard.

Lakers’ head coach Bob Friske was disappointed in his team’s performance through the first part of the game.

“We came very flat,” Friske said. “We weren’t playing well at all at the beginning.”

He believes that the team has to find itself an identity soon, particularly for when conference play starts.

Oswego State next takes the pitch on Saturday at Utica College for a night match, set to start at 7 p.m.

One thought on “Struggles continue for men’s soccer

  1. This has gone on for far to long under the current leadership. This situation reminds me of when Ken Peterson was coach. mediocre to failing was the norm. This continued sub performance is unacceptable. What is considered acceptable by the AD will never exceed failing.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *