Shortie Says!

Dear Shortie,
I heard about these things called "Kegel" exercises and how they can improve your chances of reaching an orgasms. Is there any information you could give?
-Stronger Vagina Vanessa

Dear Stronger Vagina Vanessa,
Kegels tone and strengthen the pubococcygeal (PC) muscles – three sets of muscles that run like a hammock from your back to your pubic bone, encircling the openings to the vagina and the rectum. "During orgasm, these muscles contract rhythmically. The stronger they are, the more intense the sensation," says urogynecologist Hilary Cholhan, M.D., director of the Rochester Regional Continence Center in Rochester, NY. Another sex bonus: A woman with strong PCs can grasp her partner’s penis and heighten his sensations by contracting and releasing her muscles.

Locate the right muscles by stopping your urine stream the next time you’re in the bathroom. (Don’t routinely do Kegels while urinating or with a full bladder, though, because this can actually weaken the muscles.) Make sure you’re not tensing your thighs, buttocks, or anal muscles. When you find the muscles try one exercise by slowly contract your muscles, drawing inward and upward. Hold for a count of three; then slowly relax for three seconds. Repeat as many times as you can, working up to 25 or 30 three-second squeezes.

Finally, to really work the PC muscles, do Kegels in various positions – two or three times a day. If you do them regularly, you’ll feel the difference in eight to 12 weeks.

Dear Shortie,
Ever since me and my roommate had a huge disagreement on how uncomfortable I feel about her boyfriend being around our relationship has never been the same. She barely talks to me. We never hang out anymore and she always finds a reason to never be in the room. I feel the tension but just don’t know how to talk to her about it.

Dear Room-mateless,
There are ways you can go about resolving this issue. Speak to your roommate directly; review and discuss the Roommate Agreement that you and your roommate complete. State your issues neutrally and be prepared to listen. Try to come to a resolution about the issue at hand. Ask the RA on your floor to intervene by meeting with both of you. His or her role is that of a neutral mediator as you both try to resolve the problem.

I hope everything goes well and you and your roommate can work this out.

Dear Shortie,
When should a woman start making appointments tosee a gynecologist for a pelvic exam and pap test?
-Wonderin’ Whitney

Dear Wonderin’ Whitney,
It varies for all women. Women need to see an OB/GYN once they become sexually active or at least by the age of 21. However, many women tend to seek help from their OB/GYN if they have pain or any other problems with their menstrual cycle. At the OB/GYN’s office, pelvic exams can be administered during visits. This is a good time to ask questions about STDs and contraceptives, as well as establish a relationship with the doctor and go over your medical and sexual history (even if you have not had sexual intercourse.)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *