Lakers Struggles Continue With Loss To SUNY New Paltz

The Oswego State Men’s Soccer team lost in overtime to the SUNY Geneseo Knights in crushing fashion on their return home as they dropped their fifth straight game, 1-0. The Lakers conceded a golden goal in the first overtime period after missing a chance to win the game themselves.

The Knights’ Matt D’Amico scored the game’s only goal as he snuck one past Lakers’ goalie Todd Lawson.

The defensive showing from the Lakers, while impressive, let the Knights a plentiful number of opportunities for stretches at a time, including toward the end of regulation.

The Lakers looked to get on the winning track after returning home and overcame a shaky first five minutes to take control of the latter parts of the first half. The players needed a bounce back game and it looked early on that it would be the case.

Sophomore Connor Lunduski made plays from the middle and from the wing all game long, setting up multiple scoring opportunities. The Lakers defense maintained its home form, making things difficult for the Knights offensive players all throughout the first half.

The Knights missed multiple chances down the stretch as they hit shots wide of the net. It left the Knight’s bench with their hands on their heads wondering what was happening and the Lakers breathing sighs of relief that they didn’t go down a goal.

The Lakers continued absorbing pressure from the Knights heading into the final minutes, culminating in a shot that clanged off the left post as the frustration of the Knights increased.

Oswego State’s top scorer, freshman Bernard Osei, had a one-on-one chance in the overtime period as he got free of the Knight defenders, but his shot that would have won the game was saved by a great effort by Knight goalkeeper Logan Calvey.

Coach Bob Friske knows his team has fight despite the rough stretch that could very well keep them from the playoffs.

“We were confident,” Friske said on his team heading into the overtime period. “We definitely saw improvement from this game.”

The Knights missed a great opportunity with just over 20 minutes left in the first half, but the shot from Kevin McGrath was fired over the net from close range.

Freshman Jason Siracuse had a good attempt from outside the 18-yard box but was saved on a good effort from the Knight goalkeeper.

Both teams continued to play a cautious first half each weren’t giving much to the opponent. Each team was waiting for the other to make a mistake.

Despite the caution both teams did have chances to break the tie, but nothing came as the game entered the half 0-0.

Tensions between the two sides increased as things began to get chippy as certain fouls had both benches questioning decisions made by the referees.

It was a physical contest as each team looked to impose itself mainly on defense, constantly attacking balls in the air on headers and making aggressive tackle to break up a potential fast break down the other end.

About 17 minutes into the second half, Geneseo had their best chance of the game up to that point. D’Amico got on the end of the cross and had a wide open net as Lawson was caught out, but the attempt went way over the net as he stayed on the ground wondering what went wrong on the attempt.

Mitch Brickman, one of the Lakers leaders on the field, came off with an injury around his right foot/ankle area and needed help to come off the pitch. He returned to the game later on.

Lawson made a great effort to keep the Knights from getting a clear goal scoring opportunity. He punched out a pass and recovered the ball quickly in front of him. He also faced some trouble after he came off his line to clear a corner, but it was deflected off a Lakers defender.

Lunduski attempted a free kick as the game was winding down and hit it with the outside of his right foot and it hit right to Calvey.